Wat Samrong Knong is one of the oldest pagodas in Battambang Province. It is located in the northeast part of the provincial town of Battambang, in Samrong Knong Village, Samrong Commune, Eke Phnom District. It is approximately 5.77 km from Battambang Provincial Hall and based at X: 306989, Y: 1451877.
Wat Samrong Knong was built in 1707 by Mr. Thudong Chey as a hermitage. Until 1887, under the leadership of the seventh chief monk of the pagoda, named Preah Monivisong, a brick temple was built. Samrong is the name of a big tree that grew on the pagoda grounds with a diameter of two meters. It was a hermitage of Thudong Chey and monks and scholars later lived there. It has been a sacred place for the officials and people to pray for their wishes to be fulfilled according to their beliefs. (Please read the history Wat Samrong Knong for detailed information.)
Outside the grounds of Wat Samrong Khnong, there is a spacious court with a garden and a large pond which can store water in both rainy and dry seasons. There are also big beautiful trees and in the monastery, there is a huge Buddhist statue believed to be sacred. Many people from near and afar like to gather in the pagoda for festive events.
There is an old stupa, built in 1887, which faces the four main directions and is dedicated for the remains of the monk chief(s). It is made of brick in the shape of a rectangle with four lower gates facing the four sub-directions and four other higher gates [facing the] the four main directions. The lower wall is in the shape of an octagon, each side is of eight meters with steps. Inside the body of the ground stupa; on the foundation, there are entryways on all sides, like caves and there is an altar of bricks to hold the remains.